Thursday, March 12, 2009

Into the Unknown

I am hardly able to speak, I feel so ill. “I can’t, I can’t make it…” I tell him.
He looks at me, he sees that I don’t understand anything that’s happening, but he has no choice we have to keep moving. Our brisk pace soon breaks into a full run. I'm barely keeping up even though he holds me by the hand. Where we’re going is unknown, all of the streets look the same. It’s dark , I’m scared and very sick. It feels as though we've been running for hours.

Finally we duck into a doorway I catch my breath and again I ask... who are you?
He looks bewildered and solemnly replies “Don’t you know?” touching my cheek softly. The sound of irate voices in the distance break the moment. The words “Find them!” said in a harsh and urgent tone ring through the air.

"They’re right behind us, "Come on!” he says, and quietly maneuvers us through the streets.
“Who’s behind us?” I ask. Still no answer to my questions but he leads me until we find refuge, temporary sanctuary inside an old building that's been abandoned for some time . Once settled, I struggle against the urge to pass out.
“We can’t stay here long."

"What's happening to me?" I ask through labored breath but before he answers pieces of the brick wall begin to chip away as bullets penetrate the room.